Looking for the best biceps workout you can do at home? Take it from the most famous bodybuilders and athletes around: no bicep workout is complete without isometrics. The concept of ‘muscle exhaustion’, long-held by fitness experts as an effective way to target certain muscle groups, is an essential tool in isometric exercise. Isometric-based muscle exhaustion enhances traditional workouts by pushing muscles to their limit at specific ranges of the full exercise. Essentially, isometrics can work to effectively isolate the muscle at a specific point in the exercise, thus ensuring the muscle group gets a trainer’s complete attention without resulting in unnecessary fatigue overall.
So, if you want the ultimate arm-sculpting workout, then check out this short, but sweet bicep workout incorporating isometrics. But look closer–a lot of these bicep exercises are already household names. Isometrics is by no means new, but there’s new technology, like the Activ5 device, that can help you track and measure your progress. That’s the magic of isometrics; you can do it any time, anywhere, but a workout tool like Activ5 can help you set proper goals and put you on the path to incredible strength gains.
Just don’t let the 15-minute run time fool you–this workout is a real challenge.
Dumbbell Bicep Curl
Muscles Worked: Biceps
How to Do It:
- From a standing position, hold dumbbells in each hand
- Keep your elbows close to your torso and your palms facing up
- Keeping your upper body stationary, exhale and curl the weights up to your shoulders
- Slowly lower the dumbbells until your elbows are at 90° and hold for 5 seconds – That’s isometrics!
- Lower the weights until your arms are straight
- Do 10 reps
This exercise can be performed in a seated position for extra back support.
Iso Wood Chop
Muscles Worked: Chest, Biceps, Core
How to Do It:
- From a standing position, outstretch your arms in front of you
- Hold the Activ5 between your palms, positioned outside your left hip
- Press your palms into the Activ5 while you engage your core
- Keep squeezing for 15 seconds
- Repeat for the right hip
These exercises are so much more effective if you keep your arms fully extended throughout.
Iso Bicep Curl
Muscles Worked: Biceps, Triceps, Forearms
How to Do It:
- From a seated position, lean forward
- Place your left elbow inside your left knee
- Keep your left arm bent 90°
- Hold the Activ5 on your left palm
- With your right arm bent 90°, press down on the Activ5
- Press for 15 seconds
- Repeat for the right arm
To keep proper posture, keep your abs engaged throughout.
This 15-minute workout is perfect if you’ve got a busy schedule. It’s short and efficient, while requiring as little equipment as possible. Of course, this super convenient isometric bicep workout is just the tip of the iceberg; if you want to target the legs, core, shoulders, and more, check out amazing exercises for almost every part of the body from the Activ5 app. Browse through more insane isometric workouts you can do any time, anywhere, for the fitness experience of the future.